The United States has ordered members of the DR Congo national football team to complete a 21-day isolation period before entering the country for the 2026 FIFA World Cup following a deadly Ebola outbreak in the Central African nation.
Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the tournament, said on Friday that the Congolese delegation must remain inside a controlled training bubble in Belgium or risk being barred from travelling to the United States.
DR Congo are scheduled to compete in Group K of the World Cup and will open their campaign against Portugal national football team on June 17 in Houston. The team will also face Colombia national football team in Guadalajara, Mexico, on June 23 before taking on Uzbekistan national football team on June 27 in Atlanta.
“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston,” Giuliani told ESPN. He warned that failure to comply with the restrictions could prevent the team from entering the US.
Most players in the Congolese squad are based in Europe, including Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Yoane Wissa and captain Chancel Mbemba. The team is coached by French manager Sebastien Desabre.
US officials said the measures are necessary to protect public health during the tournament.
Earlier this month, authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo confirmed an outbreak of Bundibugyo Ebola, a rare strain of the virus. More than 130 deaths have been recorded among nearly 600 suspected cases.
The outbreak forced the Congolese football federation to cancel a planned training camp in Kinshasa and move preparations to Belgium instead.
The team is expected to play friendly matches against Denmark national football team in Liege on June 3 and Chile national football team in Spain on June 9 before travelling to North America for the tournament.
