The Presidency has dismissed Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde’s call for a United Nations-led investigation into the abduction of pupils and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area, describing the proposal as unnecessary and politically driven.
Speaking on Monday, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said the Federal Government had no objection to an international inquiry if the governor believed there were unresolved questions surrounding the incident. However, he maintained that the demand lacked justification in light of the explanations already provided by security agencies.
“Our doors are open. If the governor believes there is more to the incident than what our military has explained, the UN is free to investigate,” Onanuga said.
He questioned why anyone would suggest that Nigerian security agencies deliberately allowed the victims to remain in captivity for 56 days, stressing that the ordeal inflicted severe trauma on the children, some of whom were as young as four years old.
According to Onanuga, the rescue mission came at a significant cost, with soldiers and operatives of the Western Nigeria Security Network, codenamed Amotekun, losing their lives during efforts to free the hostages. He also noted that one of the abducted teachers was killed while in captivity, describing any suggestion that the incident was deliberately orchestrated as inconceivable.
The presidential spokesman further accused Governor Makinde of allowing political ambitions to influence his stance, alleging that the governor was attempting to use the incident to advance a political narrative.
He described the governor’s demand for a UN investigation as “absolutely unnecessary,” arguing that it undermined confidence in Nigeria’s institutions and sought to create unfounded conspiracy theories around the rescue operation.
Makinde had earlier made the appeal while receiving the 45 rescued pupils and teachers who were formally handed over to the Oyo State Government by the Federal Government after spending 56 days in captivity.
The governor said the seriousness of the abduction and the circumstances surrounding the victims’ rescue warranted independent international scrutiny. He urged relevant United Nations human rights and accountability mechanisms to examine the facts surrounding the incident and its resolution.
Makinde insisted that his request was not intended to discredit Nigeria’s security institutions but to promote transparency, accountability and public confidence.
He argued that Nigerians deserved a full account of what transpired, including whether there were institutional failures, negligence or possible collusion, as well as measures needed to prevent similar attacks on schools.
“This is not about politics. It is about justice for the victims, reassurance for our people, and restoring public confidence that every Nigerian child can go to school without fear,” the governor said.
