Colonel Mohammed Ma’aji, who is facing allegations over a plot to overthrow President Bola Tinubu’s administration, has said his actions were motivated by patriotism and concern about Nigeria’s worsening economic and security conditions rather than personal ambition.
Ma’aji, according to a report by Premium Times on Monday, said widespread economic hardship, poor governance and declining welfare for citizens and military personnel convinced him that the country was heading towards a dangerous situation.
He said the alleged movement was driven by concerns that Nigeria was gradually deteriorating and could eventually reach a point of collapse.
“What has happened has a very long history, and it is driven by patriotism and I love the job and country,” Ma’aji said.
“As we are all sitting down here, we have our biases and our thoughts and concerns on what was going on in our country from a state of gradual decline up to now, and we are almost at the point of collapse.”
The colonel said his personal struggle to provide for his five children on his salary had also deepened his concerns about the country’s economic situation.
“Every time I look at how I’m struggling to raise five children with my meagre salary, I get worried,” he said.
He compared his experience with his own upbringing at Army Day Secondary School, questioning how many military personnel could currently afford similar educational opportunities for their children.
Ma’aji also expressed concern over the welfare of soldiers, particularly those injured during military operations. He alleged that some wounded personnel receiving treatment at the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital in Kaduna were not receiving adequate care.
According to him, the conditions confronting military personnel reinforced his belief that urgent action was required to change the country’s direction.
“The summary of all this is that this action was driven by the desire to have a prosperous nation and country that we all can be proud of,” he said.
“It got to a point that I was worried that if nothing is done, we may not have a country to call our own in the near future.”
No Operation Had Been Launched
Ma’aji said the alleged plan involved mobilising military officers who shared his concerns but insisted that the group had not reached the stage of executing any operation before his arrest.
He described Nigeria as becoming a “banana republic” and argued that the country had entered a dangerous trajectory.
“The plan was to get enough officers of like minds who could participate. We were still at the stage of mobilising to get more officers involved,” he said.
“This team has not been fully formed because there were supposed to be other meetings. There was no D-Day. We were waiting for the availability of resources and more officers and soldiers.”
The colonel also claimed that he personally financed much of the alleged plan, while former Minister of Transportation, Timipre Sylva, allegedly contributed about N400 million.
He denied any foreign involvement and said no date had been set for the proposed operation.
Ma’aji further denied approaching some senior military officers, but said dissatisfaction within the military, as well as his unsuccessful attempts to secure promotion, contributed to the revival of the alleged movement.
Calls for Military Reforms
The officer called for the creation of a formal channel through which military personnel could communicate their grievances to the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, without fear of victimisation.
He also advocated improved salaries and welfare packages for soldiers, better pension benefits, greater access to education and stronger measures to tackle corruption within both the country and the armed forces.
Ma’aji criticised the removal of the fuel subsidy, arguing that the policy should have been implemented gradually to reduce its impact on Nigerians.
Following his arrest, he appealed to the authorities for leniency, saying the experience had changed his perspective.
He said he would consider a different approach if released and the problems he had complained about continued, while pleading with the authorities to pardon those involved as first-time offenders.
“This incident has really opened our eyes and has changed our mindset forever. It was not intended to destabilize the country at all,” he said.
“Everything we planned was born out of patriotism, love of country, and the desire to have a prosperous Nigeria that we all can be proud of.”
The alleged coup plot, reportedly uncovered in late September 2025, resulted in the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade and changes in the military hierarchy, including the removal of Christopher Musa as Chief of Army Staff at the time.
