Former Sokoto State governor and current senator representing Sokoto South, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has vowed to resist what he calls “intimidation and blackmail” after being released on bail by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over an alleged N189 billion fraud.
Tambuwal, who was quizzed and detained overnight by the EFCC earlier this week, returned to Sokoto on Thursday to a rousing reception from thousands of supporters who thronged his residence. Addressing the jubilant crowd, he pledged to continue advocating for “equitable and democratic governance” in Sokoto and beyond.
“I cannot be intimidated or blackmailed. I believe I shall be vindicated, and victory shall be ours,” he declared, drawing loud chants of solidarity from his supporters.
The EFCC confirmed it is investigating Tambuwal for alleged misappropriation of N189 billion during his tenure as governor. The case has sparked heated political debate, with the opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) condemning the probe as a calculated attempt to weaken opposition voices ahead of the 2027 presidential election.
Recounting his time in EFCC custody, Tambuwal said he honoured the agency’s invitation on August 6 but was denied release on personal recognition despite his high-profile political credentials — including serving as Speaker of the House of Representatives, two-term governor, and current senator.
“They insisted I must produce two top civil servants as sureties. My request was turned down. Despite being accompanied by three Senior Advocates of Nigeria, I was remanded in Cell N23,” he told supporters.
Tambuwal also accused the Sokoto State government of orchestrating a “kangaroo investigative committee” to tarnish his image, insisting that no competent legal authority had found him guilty of any offence.
His defiant stance underscores deepening political fault lines in Sokoto, where Tambuwal remains a key rallying figure for opposition forces preparing for the next electoral cycle.
The EFCC has not yet commented on the political accusations surrounding the case, but sources within the commission say the investigation will proceed “strictly on its merits.”
