The Federal Government has initiated high-level diplomatic efforts to secure the release of Nigerian soldiers and a C-130 military aircraft currently being held by authorities in Burkina Faso, now entering their third day in detention.
The aircraft and the 11 military personnel onboard were detained by the Burkinabe military government over alleged violations of the country’s airspace, according to information gathered from security sources on Wednesday.
Sources within the Nigerian military confirmed that the soldiers and aircraft remain in custody, adding that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has taken over the matter. “They have not been released yet. The matter is now being handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We hope they will be released soon with their intervention,” one source said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also confirmed its involvement. Its spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, stated that the Nigerian Embassy in Ouagadougou has begun formal engagements with Burkinabe authorities. “The Embassy of Nigeria in Ouagadougou is engaging with the host authorities to secure their release,” he said.
Burkina Faso had earlier announced that a Nigerian Air Force C-130 aircraft carrying 11 soldiers was compelled to land on Monday after allegedly entering its airspace without authorisation. The information was first released by the Agence d’Information du Burkina, quoting a statement from the Confederation of Sahel States.
The statement said investigations showed the aircraft lacked clearance to fly over Burkina Faso, describing the incident as a breach of sovereignty. It added that the alliance “condemns with the utmost firmness this violation of its airspace and the sovereignty of its member States.”
In response, the Nigerian Air Force assured that all personnel aboard the aircraft, which landed in Bobo-Dioulasso, are safe and being treated cordially by Burkinabe authorities. The aircraft was reportedly en route to Portugal on a ferry mission when the crew detected a technical issue shortly after departing Lagos on December 8, 2025.
According to Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame, Director of Public Relations and Information, the crew diverted to the nearest airfield in compliance with international aviation protocols and standard safety procedures. He added that plans are underway for the mission to continue once clearance is secured, reaffirming the Air Force’s commitment to operational discipline and safety.
