Former US President Donald Trump on Saturday claimed that American forces had carried out a large-scale military operation against Venezuela, alleging that President Nicolás Maduro had been captured following airstrikes on the country’s capital, Caracas.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said US forces conducted a “large scale strike” on Venezuela and apprehended Maduro and his wife, adding that they had been flown out of the country. His statement came about two hours after explosions were reported across Caracas in the early hours of Saturday.
There was, however, no independent confirmation from Venezuelan authorities regarding Maduro’s alleged capture. Instead, the Venezuelan government accused the United States of what it described as an “extremely serious military aggression” against its territory, amid months of escalating military and economic pressure from Washington.
AFP journalists reported that multiple explosions rocked Caracas around 2:00 a.m. local time, accompanied by the sound of helicopters overhead. The blasts reportedly lasted close to an hour.
Trump announced that he would address the situation during a news conference scheduled for later in the day at his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida.
In a brief telephone interview with The New York Times, Trump described the operation as “brilliant,” crediting extensive planning and the involvement of US troops.
Key targets reportedly included Fuerte Tiuna, Venezuela’s largest military complex in southern Caracas, and the Carlota airbase in the northern part of the city. AFP correspondents observed flames and thick smoke rising from Fuerte Tiuna, while additional explosions were reported in La Guaira, north of the capital, where the country’s main airport and port are located.
Residents described scenes of panic and confusion as the strikes unfolded. Some rushed to windows to assess the situation, while others sought shelter in interior rooms to avoid flying glass. Social media videos showed helicopters hovering over the city, and power outages were reported in parts of Caracas.
A resident of La Guaira, María Eugenia Escobar, told AFP that the force of the explosions shook her home. “I felt like the blasts lifted me out of bed. I thought the day had finally come, and I cried,” she said.
Venezuela’s government said President Maduro had declared a state of emergency, though his whereabouts remained unclear. The defence ministry accused the United States of striking residential areas and announced a large-scale deployment of military resources in response.
Regional reaction was swift. Colombian President Gustavo Petro called for an emergency meeting of the United Nations and said Colombia was reinforcing security along its border with Venezuela.
The reported strikes followed repeated threats by Trump, who had earlier deployed US naval assets to the Caribbean under the banner of combating drug trafficking. He has previously accused Maduro of leading a drug cartel—an allegation the Venezuelan leader has consistently denied.
Washington has also tightened sanctions on Venezuela, restricted its airspace, and seized oil tankers in recent weeks, actions widely viewed as efforts to pressure Maduro’s government. US forces have conducted several maritime strikes targeting alleged drug smuggling operations, resulting in more than 100 deaths, according to the US military.
Maduro, who has been in power since 2013, has accused the United States of attempting to overthrow his government due to Venezuela’s vast oil reserves. The situation remains fluid, with no official confirmation yet of Trump’s claim that the Venezuelan leader has been captured.
