The Federal Government has assured members of the Super Eagles that all outstanding match bonuses for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations have been cleared, putting an end to concerns over payment delays.
The Minister of State for Finance, Mrs Doris Uzoka-Anite, gave the assurance on Thursday via a post on her official X handle, where she explained that administrative procedures surrounding the payment of players’ entitlements had been streamlined.
Her clarification followed reports suggesting that players had threatened to boycott training sessions and were unwilling to travel to Marrakech ahead of Saturday’s quarter-final clash against Algeria.
Uzoka-Anite stated that the Federal Government, in collaboration with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), had resolved foreign exchange challenges that previously slowed down the settlement of the bonuses.
“All group-stage bonuses have been fully released and cleared required regulatory stages. There will be no further administrative delays,” she said.
According to the minister, a fast-track foreign exchange conversion process was adopted to accommodate the players’ preference for payments in foreign currency. She added that the final transfers to the players’ domiciliary accounts were already being processed.
“The final transfers to players’ domiciliary accounts are in flight and should reflect today or tomorrow,” she noted.
Reaffirming government support for the national team, Uzoka-Anite said player welfare remained a top priority as the Super Eagles continue their quest for continental glory.
“Our focus is to support the team as they push toward bringing the AFCON trophy home,” she added.
