The United States government has announced plans to suspend visa processing for nationals of 75 countries, including Nigeria, as part of a broader review aimed at curbing immigration linked to welfare dependence.
According to the US State Department, the suspension is expected to take effect from January 21 and will remain in place indefinitely while immigrant visa screening and vetting procedures are reassessed. The policy will affect applicants from several regions, including Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
Countries listed under the planned pause include Nigeria, Somalia, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan, Russia, Brazil and Thailand, among others.
President Donald Trump had earlier released data highlighting welfare usage among immigrant households, noting that about 33.3 per cent of Nigerian immigrant households reportedly received some form of public assistance.
A State Department memo, first reported by Fox News Digital, instructed US embassies and consular officials to deny visas under existing “public charge” laws while the department conducts its review. The directive authorises officers to refuse visas to applicants considered likely to rely on government assistance, including those with a history of cash aid usage or institutionalisation.
The guidance further allows for denial based on factors such as age, health status — including obesity — and potential long-term dependence on public resources.
In a statement, State Department spokesperson Tommy Piggott said the department would rely on its established legal authority to prevent the entry of individuals deemed likely to become a financial burden on the United States.
“The State Department will use its long-standing authority to deem ineligible potential immigrants who would become a public charge on the United States and exploit the generosity of the American people,” Piggott said. “Immigration from these 75 countries will be paused while procedures are reassessed to prevent abuse of public benefits.”
The move follows a State Department cable issued in November 2025, which directed consular posts worldwide to apply stricter screening measures under the public charge provision of US immigration law. The instructions require officers to consider a wide range of factors, including an applicant’s age, health, financial standing, English proficiency and possible need for long-term medical care.
Although the public charge rule has existed for decades, its enforcement has varied across administrations. In 2019, President Trump expanded the interpretation of the provision to cover a broader range of public benefits, granting consular officers wider discretion to deny visas on welfare-related grounds.
