Turkey has declared its opposition to any military action against Iran, calling instead for dialogue and peaceful resolution amid ongoing tensions and widespread protests in the Islamic republic.
Speaking to journalists in Istanbul on Thursday, Turkey’s Foreign Minister, Hakan Fidan, said Ankara was firmly against the use of force, stressing that Iran’s challenges should be addressed internally.
“We’re against a military operation against Iran. We believe the authentic problems of Iran should be resolved by themselves,” Fidan said.
His remarks come as US President Donald Trump has repeatedly suggested the possibility of supporting the Iranian people following a harsh crackdown on nationwide protests.
Fidan noted that Iran’s deep-rooted economic difficulties had been wrongly interpreted as a full-scale uprising against the state. Rights groups say the protests have claimed at least 3,428 lives, with demonstrations spreading across the country against a government widely criticised for its intolerance of dissent.
Iran has also been grappling with severe economic strain caused by years of international sanctions, alongside the aftermath of its June conflict with Israel.
The Turkish foreign minister urged all parties to prioritise diplomatic engagement, saying dialogue remained the best path forward.
“We absolutely want problems to be resolved through dialogue,” Fidan said. “Hopefully, the United States and Iran will resolve this issue among themselves — whether through mediators, other actors, or direct dialogue. We are closely following these developments.”
