FIFA President Gianni Infantino has criticised the conduct of some Senegal players, officials and supporters following chaotic scenes that disrupted the Africa Cup of Nations final on Sunday.
In a statement sent to AFP, Infantino described the decision by several Senegalese players and members of the technical crew to walk off the pitch in protest as “unacceptable,” stressing that such actions undermine the integrity of the game.
“We strongly condemn the behaviour of some ‘supporters’ as well as some Senegalese players and technical staff members,” Infantino said. “It is unacceptable to leave the field of play in this manner, and equally, violence cannot be tolerated in our sport.”
The AFCON final, which Senegal eventually won 1–0, was overshadowed by controversy late in normal time when Morocco were awarded a penalty following a VAR review for a challenge on Brahim Diaz. With the score tied at 0–0 deep into stoppage time, most Senegal players left the pitch in protest, furious over the decision and a previously disallowed goal at the other end.
Former Liverpool forward Sadio Mane remained on the field and was seen urging his teammates to return so the match could continue.
The situation was further complicated by unrest in the stands, where some Senegalese supporters attempted to enter the pitch and clashed with security personnel. The disruption caused a delay of nearly 20 minutes before play resumed.
When the penalty was finally taken, Diaz attempted a ‘panenka’ kick, which was comfortably saved by Senegal goalkeeper Edouard Mendy. Senegal then secured victory in extra time through a superb strike by Pape Gueye in the fourth minute.
While condemning the incidents, Infantino congratulated Morocco on what he described as a “fantastic tournament,” praising the country’s role as runners-up and hosts, especially ahead of their co-hosting of the 2030 FIFA World Cup.
He emphasised the need for teams to respect officiating decisions, regardless of circumstances.
“We must always respect the decisions taken by the match officials on and off the field of play,” Infantino said. “Teams must compete within the Laws of the Game, because anything less puts the very essence of football at risk.”
The FIFA president warned that scenes like those witnessed in the final send the wrong message to fans around the world, particularly with the next World Cup set to be co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
“It is the responsibility of teams and players to act responsibly and set the right example,” he added. “The ugly scenes witnessed today must be condemned and never repeated.”
Infantino said he expects the Confederation of African Football’s disciplinary bodies to take appropriate action over the incidents.
