Former Peter Obi has declared that no individual or group holds a monopoly on violence, insisting that he has the constitutional right to visit any part of Nigeria despite threats linked to a recent incident in Benin City.
Obi, who served as governor of Anambra State and was the presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 election, made the remarks during a visit to Peter University, Achina.
Reacting to warnings circulating on social media cautioning him against travelling to certain parts of the country after the Edo incident, Obi maintained that his movement across Nigeria cannot be restricted.
“I am a Nigerian, and I am free to go to any part of this country. It is a constitutional right that nobody can take away from me. But let me make it clear, nobody has a monopoly of violence,” he said.
The former governor also revealed that he proceeded with a visit to Rivers State despite receiving strong warnings not to step into the state, stating that such threats would not deter him from honouring earlier commitments.
Obi further confirmed his intention to contest the 2027 presidential election under the platform of the African Democratic Congress, alleging that certain political forces were working to prevent him from appearing on the ballot.
“I’m not desperate to be the President of Nigeria, but I’m desperate to see Nigeria work,” he said, adding that the country was struggling because of greed among some wealthy elites.
According to him, political pressure and institutional obstacles would not stop his ambition.
“No matter what they do, I must contest the election. Let them declare a free and fair contest, bring the ball to the centre of the field and declare it started, and let us see what happens,” Obi said.
He also called on political leaders, including the country’s governors, to ensure that the electoral process remains credible and transparent.
Obi reiterated his belief that Nigeria’s system should offer equal opportunities to citizens regardless of their background.
“We want a country where the son of a nobody can become somebody without knowing anybody,” he added.
Explains exit from Labour Party
Obi also addressed his decision to leave the Labour Party for the African Democratic Congress, attributing the move to prolonged leadership disputes within the party and the alleged refusal of the Independent National Electoral Commission to recognise court rulings on the matter.
He said the party had obtained favourable court judgments regarding its leadership crisis, but the electoral body initially declined to recognise them.
“You all know that I’m now in ADC. People have been asking why I left LP. We had been in court over the leadership of the Labour Party and secured favourable judgments, but INEC refused to recognise them,” Obi said.
He added that shortly after his departure from the party on December 31, the same court orders that had been ignored were suddenly recognised in January.
The former presidential candidate also alleged that discussions around possible constitutional amendments were being considered in some quarters to frustrate his political ambitions.
