Former Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has alleged that operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) forcibly removed him and his family from their Abuja residence despite an ongoing legal dispute over the property.
Malami made the claim on Tuesday while addressing journalists, stating that EFCC officials initially stormed the residence on Monday and returned the following day with armed personnel to complete the takeover.
According to him, the operation was carried out without a court order authorizing eviction or sealing of the property. He argued that while an interim forfeiture order had been granted on January 6, 2026, it did not include directives permitting immediate possession or the removal of occupants.
“The commission acted without recourse to the court and without obtaining necessary legal authorisation to evict my family or take over the property,” Malami said.
The property in question, located at No. 2, Koronakh Close, off Amazon Street in the Maitama area of Abuja, is described by the former minister as his family home.
Malami further disclosed that he had already challenged the forfeiture order at the Federal High Court, with proceedings adjourned until April 20, 2026. He maintained that, given the matter was sub judice, the EFCC should have refrained from taking unilateral action.
He criticized the commission for allegedly bypassing due process, emphasizing that enforcement of court orders lies with judicial officers such as bailiffs and not parties involved in litigation.
Describing the eviction as unprecedented within Nigeria’s legal system, Malami insisted that no official eviction order was obtained, nor were court officers involved in executing the action.
The former AGF also suggested possible political motivations behind the incident, noting that it occurred shortly after his release from detention and during a period of increased public support. However, he stopped short of directly labeling it as political persecution, citing the ongoing court proceedings.
Malami said he would seek redress through legal channels to challenge the EFCC’s actions.
Efforts to reach his counsel, J.B. Daudu, for comments on the development were unsuccessful as of the time of filing this report.
Earlier reports indicated that EFCC operatives, reportedly led by an official identified as Folarin Dare, arrived at the residence in multiple vehicles, heavily armed, and barricaded access to the area as they carried out the operation.
