Iran has confirmed the death of a senior Revolutionary Guards commander following an airstrike, marking another high-profile casualty in the escalating conflict between the two nations.
In a statement released Monday via the Guards’ Sepah News outlet, Iran said naval commander Alireza Tangsiri died from “severe injuries” sustained in an attack last week. Israel had earlier announced the strike, with Defence Minister Israel Katz describing Tangsiri as a key figure behind efforts to disrupt shipping in the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
Katz claimed Tangsiri played a direct role in operations involving the mining and attempted blockade of the vital waterway, a route critical to global oil shipments. Since the war entered its second month, Iran has effectively imposed restrictions in the area, contributing to a sharp rise in global energy prices.
Iranian officials said Tangsiri was coordinating coastal defense operations at the time of the strike. The statement also included a strong warning, pledging continued resistance and declaring that Iran would not relent “until the enemy is completely destroyed.”
Tangsiri is among several senior Iranian figures reported killed since the conflict began. Tehran has acknowledged mounting losses within its leadership ranks, though it maintains that its military structure remains intact.
A veteran of the 1980–1988 Iran-Iraq war, Tangsiri was one of the longest-serving commanders in the Revolutionary Guards. He was appointed in 2018 to lead its naval forces, a role in which he oversaw expanded maritime operations, including the seizure of foreign vessels in recent years.
Despite claims by Israel and the United States that such targeted strikes have significantly weakened Iran’s command structure, some analysts argue that the country continues to demonstrate resilience and the ability to regroup amid ongoing hostilities.
