Uncertainty surrounds the number of casualties from a deadly Sunday night attack on Angwan Rukuba community in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State, as police and community leaders offer differing accounts.
The Plateau State Police Command confirmed on Monday that 14 people were killed when gunmen attacked the area at about 8:30 p.m. on March 29, 2026. According to the command’s spokesperson, SP Alfred Alabo, an initial 12 victims — 10 men and two women — died at the scene, while two additional bodies were recovered during a search operation on Monday morning.
Alabo said security operatives combed nearby bushes while pursuing the attackers, who fled after the assault. He added that the Commissioner of Police, CP Bassey Ewah, led a team of senior officers and tactical units to the community alongside other security agencies to restore calm.
Authorities say joint operations are ongoing to track down the perpetrators, with intensified efforts aimed at making arrests. The bodies of the victims have been deposited in a mortuary, and investigations are continuing.
However, community leaders dispute the official figures, describing the toll as significantly higher. Barrister Dalyop Solomon Mwantiri, President of the Berom Youth Moulders Association, said at least 27 people were feared dead.
Mwantiri claimed that 14 victims were killed on the spot, while 13 others later succumbed to injuries in hospital. He noted that the bodies had been returned to the community.
Condemning the attack, the youth leader described it as another tragic incident in a series of recurring security challenges in the state. He called on authorities to ensure those responsible are swiftly apprehended and brought to justice.
Police have appealed to residents to provide credible information that could assist in ongoing investigations.
