China has strongly denied allegations that it has supplied or plans to supply weapons to Iran, describing the claims as unfounded and misleading.
The response came on Monday after reports, citing U.S. intelligence sources, suggested that Beijing was preparing to provide military assistance to Tehran. The reports also prompted a warning from U.S. President Donald Trump, who threatened China with steep new tariffs if such actions were confirmed.
According to a report by CNN, U.S. intelligence assessments indicated that China could deliver advanced air defence systems to Iran in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, The New York Times cited officials as saying there were indications Beijing may have already shipped shoulder-fired missiles.
Rejecting the allegations, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said the country maintains strict controls over military exports and adheres to both domestic laws and international obligations.
“China has always adopted a cautious and responsible attitude towards the export of military items,” Guo said at a regular press briefing, adding that Beijing opposes what it called “baseless smears or malicious association.”
China remains a major economic partner of Iran, particularly as a leading buyer of its oil. However, analysts note that while the two nations maintain close economic ties, they do not share a formal military alliance. Beijing also continues to balance its relations in the region, maintaining strong economic connections with Gulf countries and previously criticizing Iranian actions against them during ongoing tensions.
