U.S. President Donald Trump has said a recent shooting at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner will not alter his administration’s course in the ongoing conflict with Iran.
Speaking to reporters during a briefing at the White House on Saturday, Trump described the incident as shocking but maintained it would not deter him from pursuing what he called victory in the war.
“It’s not going to deter me from winning the war in Iran,” he said, adding that based on preliminary findings, he did not believe the attack was connected to the conflict.
However, the president acknowledged uncertainty around the motive, noting that “you never know” while investigations remain ongoing. He characterized the suspect as a “lone wolf,” with authorities still working to determine the circumstances behind the shooting.
Earlier in the day, Trump canceled a planned diplomatic mission to Pakistan, where U.S. envoys were expected to engage in peace discussions related to Iran. The decision followed what the president described as dissatisfaction with Tehran’s stance after nearly two months of hostilities.
The developments underscore rising tensions as both security concerns at home and diplomatic efforts abroad continue to evolve alongside the conflict.
