South Africa has raised concerns over the growing economic and cultural impact of xenophobia allegations, warning that businesses and entertainers from the country are increasingly facing resistance across Africa.
Speaking during an interview with SABC on Sunday, South Africa’s Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development, Mmamoloko Kubayi, acknowledged that the backlash has begun to affect South African companies operating abroad as well as performers who depend on audiences across the continent.
Kubayi said the government has been working to support affected businesses through diplomatic engagements and consular assistance, while also addressing concerns surrounding immigration policies.
“We can’t deny the backlash,” she said, explaining that government agencies have been engaging with South African companies operating outside the country to provide necessary support and maintain business relations.
According to the minister, the entertainment industry has been among the hardest hit. She revealed that several South African artistes have seen their international engagements cancelled due to negative perceptions linked to xenophobia.
“The majority of our artistes perform across the continent, and many of them are now seeing their shows cancelled,” Kubayi said.
She recounted the experience of one performer who reportedly informed her that all scheduled appearances outside South Africa had been cancelled, resulting in a significant financial setback.
Kubayi stressed that the government’s efforts to curb illegal immigration should not be interpreted as hostility toward foreign nationals legally residing in the country.
She called on African nations to ensure the safety of South Africans living within their borders, just as South Africa is expected to protect foreigners who are legally present in the country.
The remarks come amid renewed criticism of South Africa following reports of anti-immigrant incidents that prompted countries including Nigeria, Ghana and Malawi to evacuate some of their citizens from the country.
The controversy has also extended into the sporting arena. Following South Africa’s 2-0 defeat to Mexico in their opening match of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, South African captain Ronwen Williams expressed disappointment over what he described as a lack of support from fellow Africans.
Williams said he was surprised that many African fans appeared to rally behind Mexico rather than South Africa during the match, describing the situation as painful for the team.
“Africans have always supported other African countries in every World Cup tournament, but I can’t figure out why our own case is different,” he said.
The developments highlight the wider diplomatic and economic challenges South Africa faces as it seeks to balance immigration enforcement with maintaining strong relations across the African continent.
