A train driver was killed and dozens of passengers injured after two East Midlands Railway (EMR) passenger trains collided near Bedford on Friday, triggering a major emergency response and a full-scale investigation into the incident.
British Transport Police confirmed that the crash occurred at approximately 5:15 p.m. BST when two southbound EMR services traveling toward London St Pancras collided near Bedford South.
Authorities reported that 89 people sustained injuries in the collision. Of those, 11 suffered very serious injuries, 22 sustained serious injuries, while another 56 received treatment for minor injuries.
The driver of one of the trains was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said his family had been informed.
Rail union leaders expressed sorrow over the tragedy. RMT General Secretary Eddie Dempsey described the deceased as a former union representative and said members were devastated by the loss.
Emergency services, including an air ambulance, rushed to the crash site south of Elstow near the junction of the A421 and A6 roads. Aerial footage showed extensive damage to both trains, with several carriages badly affected and at least one carriage forced off its normal position on the tracks.
Passengers recounted harrowing scenes following the impact.
Dr. Peter Knapp, who was traveling in the front carriage of one of the trains, said the force of the collision left the carriage in disarray.
“It felt like being in a bomb explosion,” he said, describing overturned seats, smoke-filled compartments and injured passengers.
He added that several victims appeared to have suffered broken limbs and facial injuries, while emergency responders worked to evacuate passengers and transport the most seriously injured to hospitals.
Another passenger, Shola Mene, said a loud explosion-like sound preceded the violent impact.
“People flew from their seats,” she recalled. “There was a lot of blood, and many passengers suffered facial injuries.”
Mene said confusion spread among travelers as they struggled to understand what had happened in the immediate aftermath of the crash.
UK Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander expressed condolences to those affected and pledged a thorough investigation.
“My thoughts are with everyone impacted by this tragic incident, particularly those who have been injured and the family of the driver who lost his life,” Alexander said.
She cautioned against speculation regarding the cause of the crash, stressing that investigators would determine the circumstances surrounding the collision.
“We will ensure a comprehensive investigation is carried out and that any lessons necessary are learned to prevent a similar event in the future,” she said.
Alexander noted that Britain’s railway system remains among the safest in the world and described such incidents as extremely rare.
East Midlands Railway identified the trains involved as the 4:40 p.m. service from Corby to London St Pancras and the 3:50 p.m. service from Nottingham to London St Pancras.
Among the passengers was Teresa Itabor from Wellingborough, who was traveling to London to celebrate her birthday.
“We had just left Bedford station when there was a massive bang,” she said. “My head hit the seat in front of me. When I opened my eyes, I saw people lying on the floor with blood everywhere.”
Following the collision, EMR suspended all services to and from London St Pancras for the remainder of Friday and advised passengers to use alternative routes through Saturday. The operator said tickets would be accepted on alternative services at no extra charge while disruption continued.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
