Hopes are growing for the safe release of 39 abducted schoolchildren and seven teachers kidnapped from communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, as security operatives intensify efforts to rescue the victims and dismantle the terrorist group responsible for the attack.
Multiple security sources disclosed that troops and other operatives have successfully sealed off key escape routes leading from a forest hideout within the National Park area, where the victims are believed to be held.
The abductions occurred on May 15, 2026, when armed terrorists attacked three schools in the Ahoro-Esinle, Yawota and Alawusa communities, kidnapping a total of 46 people.
According to sources familiar with the operation, security forces have effectively surrounded the terrorists’ enclave, restricting their movement and preventing them from relocating the hostages.
Officials said mounting pressure from the ongoing military operation has left the kidnappers increasingly desperate. One source revealed that the recent killing of an abducted teacher was likely intended to intimidate authorities and force a halt to rescue efforts.
Investigations indicate that the terrorists initially issued several demands, including the release of detained terrorist leaders, payment of ransom, the provision of two Hilux vehicles, and the enforcement of Sharia-related laws.
Among those reportedly listed for release were Mahmud Usman, also known as Abu Bara’a or Abbas Mukhtar, and his deputy, Abubakar Abba, alias Isah Adam or Mahmud Al-Nigeri, both alleged senior members of the Ansaru terrorist group. The pair were arrested by operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) last year.
However, security sources now report that the kidnappers have begun scaling back some of their conditions as troops tighten their grip around the forest hideout. Their focus, sources said, now appears to be largely centred on obtaining ransom payments.
Authorities also revealed that the alleged leader of the kidnapping gang is an indigene of Oriire Local Government Area who reportedly lived among residents before becoming radicalised and joining the Ansaru terrorist network.
The affected communities are located near Nigeria’s border corridor toward the Niger Republic and the Kainji region, areas characterised by difficult terrain and limited communication infrastructure.
Security officials disclosed that intelligence agencies had previously detected plans to target schools in the area, prompting precautionary measures, including temporary school closures in some communities.
Analysts believe sustained military offensives against insurgent groups across Nigeria have forced many terrorists out of their traditional strongholds, pushing them toward attacks on vulnerable civilian targets in remote areas.
Recent security operations have reportedly dealt significant blows to Ansaru, Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), with intelligence support from the DSS contributing to several successful missions. Security sources claim that more than 160 high-profile terrorist commanders have been neutralised in recent operations, while many others have been arrested or forced to flee across Nigeria’s borders.
A senior security official expressed confidence that ongoing military campaigns would ultimately defeat terrorist groups operating within the country.
“The offensive will continue until these criminal elements are either eliminated or driven out completely,” the official said. “There are clear signs that progress is being made, and security agencies remain committed to securing the release of all abducted victims.”
