World football governing body FIFA has suspended Nepal’s football association, effectively barring the country from participating in international football competitions due to what it described as third-party interference in the administration of the sport.
The suspension of the All Nepal Football Association (ANFA) was announced with immediate effect following what FIFA termed serious breaches of its statutes regarding the independence of national football federations.
In a letter addressed to ANFA and shared publicly by the association, FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom said the decision was taken on Wednesday because of “flagrant violations of the FIFA Statutes” stemming from external interference in the management of Nepali football.
At the centre of the dispute is a disagreement between ANFA and Nepal’s National Sports Council, the government body responsible for sports administration in the country. FIFA maintains that football associations must operate independently without influence from government institutions.
The conflict escalated earlier this year when the National Sports Council suspended ANFA for three months in March 2026 while the football body was preparing to conduct elections approved by FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation. Although the suspension was lifted in May, disagreements over the electoral process persisted.
The council had reportedly issued several directives, including demands for amendments to ANFA’s statutes under Nepal’s sports development laws, contributing to tensions with football authorities.
Reacting to the suspension, ANFA spokesperson Suresh Shah described the development as a major setback for football in the country.
“The suspension is an issue of grave concern. We are consulting with all stakeholders to ensure it is lifted while keeping the interests of Nepal football as the top priority,” Shah said.
The suspension means Nepal will be unable to participate in FIFA-sanctioned international competitions. It also cuts the association off from FIFA development funding, training programmes, educational courses, and other support initiatives.
Shah noted that the decision would have a direct impact on players and aspiring footballers across the country.
“It affects our players by denying them opportunities and discouraging young talents who dream of representing Nepal internationally,” he added.
FIFA indicated that the suspension could be lifted if the National Sports Council withdraws the decisions made in March and allows ANFA to complete its electoral process without interference.
Meanwhile, Ram Charitra Mehta, member secretary of the National Sports Council, expressed regret over the situation, insisting that the government had not intended for the dispute to result in international sanctions.
“The government never wanted this outcome. We are exploring alternative solutions to resolve the crisis,” Mehta said.
Nepal is currently ranked 175th in FIFA’s men’s world rankings, while its women’s national team occupies 88th position globally.
