The Nigerian Army has announced that troops are making steady progress in ongoing operations to rescue the 39 pupils and seven teachers abducted in Oyo State, expressing optimism that the victims will soon be reunited with their families.
Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Waidi Shaibu, disclosed this on Saturday during an interactive session with media executives in Port Harcourt as part of activities marking the 2026 Nigerian Army Day Celebration.
The victims were kidnapped on May 15 from three schools in Orire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
According to Shaibu, military operations aimed at securing their release are advancing positively.
“Operations are currently ongoing to rescue those children abducted in Oyo State, and we are making tremendous progress,” he said, expressing confidence that the mission would end successfully.
The Army Chief said the Nigerian Army remains actively engaged in security operations across the country’s six geopolitical zones to combat terrorism, banditry, kidnapping and other criminal activities.
Highlighting successes in the North East, Shaibu said troops under Operation Hadin Kai had recorded major victories against insurgents, including the elimination of a senior Islamic State commander, Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, in collaboration with United States partners.
He added that the operation had neutralised more than 1,872 insurgents, while many others had surrendered to the military.
According to him, improved security has enabled thousands of displaced persons to return to their communities, citing the recent closure of the Internally Displaced Persons camp in Bama, Borno State.
In the North West, Shaibu said Operation Fansan Yamma has continued to weaken bandit groups through sustained military offensives, resulting in the recovery of weapons and the elimination of several criminal elements.
He also noted that Operations Enduring Freedom, Whirlwind and the newly established Operation Savannah Shield have strengthened security across Plateau, Benue, Nasarawa, Kwara, Niger and parts of Kogi states in the North Central region.
Speaking on the South East, the Army Chief said the security situation had improved significantly, pointing out that there were no major security disruptions during the last Christmas celebrations.
He added that military operations in the South South had contributed to increased crude oil production by curbing illegal bunkering, oil theft and pipeline vandalism.
Shaibu described the South West as one of the country’s most peaceful regions, noting that the recent abduction in Oyo remains an isolated security concern.
The Army Chief further revealed that the Federal Government had approved measures to expand the military’s manpower to address emerging security threats.
He said President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had approved the establishment of a new Nigerian Army Depot in Amasiri-Edda, Ebonyi State, bringing the number of army training depots to three alongside those in Zaria, Kaduna State, and Osogbo, Osun State.
According to him, the three depots are expected to recruit and train 28,000 young Nigerians.
Shaibu disclosed that the Zaria depot has graduated 6,000 soldiers, while the Osogbo depot has produced 5,000 personnel. He added that the Amasiri-Edda depot would soon graduate 3,000 recruits, bringing the total number of newly trained soldiers to 14,000 so far.
He said the Army had also reviewed its training curriculum to place greater emphasis on marksmanship, counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations, with recruits now undergoing about 11 months of intensive military instruction.
Shaibu further disclosed that the Army had acquired armoured personnel carriers, mine-resistant vehicles and uncrewed aerial vehicles to improve operational effectiveness.
He added that personnel were receiving specialised training both within Nigeria and abroad to effectively operate modern military equipment.
According to him, the deployment of armed and surveillance drones, alongside enhanced aviation capabilities, has significantly improved the Army’s response time and operational success across various theatres of operation.
The Chief of Army Staff reaffirmed the Nigerian Army’s commitment to protecting the nation and tackling emerging security challenges across the country.
