Fifteen worshippers abducted during an attack on a church in Ekiti State have regained their freedom after spending 67 days in captivity, while one of the victims died before their release.
The victims were kidnapped on April 28, 2026, when armed men stormed a Christ Apostolic Church in Eda Oniyo, Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti State, during an evening service.
The gunmen reportedly shot the church pastor before abducting 16 worshippers, including women and children, and taking them into a nearby forest.
While the Ekiti State Police Command said the victims were rescued through coordinated security operations, community sources alleged that the kidnappers received a total of N25.5 million in ransom, 150 litres of petrol, five bags of rice, cartons of noodles and other food items before releasing the captives.
The freed worshippers are currently receiving medical treatment at the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital (EKSUTH) in Ado-Ekiti, with the Ekiti State Government covering the cost of their care.
According to community sources, the kidnappers initially moved the victims through forest routes into neighbouring Kwara State and demanded a ransom of N1 billion, which was later reduced to N50 million.
Residents reportedly raised N10.5 million and delivered it alongside food supplies and other items demanded by the abductors. However, the victims remained in captivity until an additional N10 million and more supplies were allegedly provided.
Confirming the victims’ release, Chairman of Ilejemeje Local Government Area, Alaba Dada, expressed gratitude over their freedom but mourned the death of one of the captives.
“I am so happy, and I am sad also. I am happy that they released the kidnapped persons. We lost one woman among them; that is what makes me sad. But we appreciate God for the people that came back home,” he said.
Dada disclosed that the rescued victims were first taken to the General Hospital in Iye Ekiti before being transferred to EKSUTH for specialized treatment.
He described their physical condition as critical, saying they suffered severe injuries from repeated beatings and had gone without food for more than a week while in captivity.
A community leader, Ayodele Oni, described the victims’ return as a huge relief after weeks of uncertainty and anxiety.
In a statement, the Ekiti State Police Command, through its spokesperson, SP Sunday Abutu, said the victims were rescued following sustained intelligence-led operations involving the police, the military, other security agencies, the Amotekun Corps, local hunters and the Ekiti State Government.
He said the victims had been taken to hospital for medical evaluation and treatment while efforts were ongoing to arrest those responsible for the abduction.
The Commissioner of Police, Michael Falade, commended all security agencies for their collaboration and thanked the state government and residents for their support throughout the operation.
Meanwhile, Governor Biodun Oyebanji directed the management of EKSUTH to provide comprehensive medical care for the rescued worshippers.
According to a statement issued by the governor’s Special Adviser on Media, Olayinka Oyebode, the governor also instructed the Ministry of Health and Human Services to oversee the victims’ welfare, with the state government assuming responsibility for all medical expenses.
Governor Oyebanji expressed appreciation to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for supporting efforts that led to the safe return of the victims.
He also commended security agencies, the Ekiti State Council of Traditional Rulers, leaders of the Eda Oniyo community, the state chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), and other stakeholders for their contributions toward securing the release of the worshippers.
