Iran launched missile attacks on United States military installations in Jordan and Bahrain on Wednesday, intensifying tensions across the Middle East and raising fears of a broader regional conflict.
The strikes came days after the United States targeted Iranian military facilities in retaliation for the downing of an American Apache helicopter, further straining a fragile ceasefire that had been in place since April.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards claimed responsibility for the attacks, saying long-range missiles were fired at American targets in Jordan while a US base in Bahrain was also struck. Iranian authorities warned Gulf nations that they bore responsibility for preventing the United States and Israel from using their territories to conduct operations against Iran.
Authorities in Jordan said their air defense systems intercepted and destroyed five incoming missiles, reporting no casualties or damage. Bahrain also announced that its forces successfully intercepted several Iranian aerial threats before they reached their targets.
The Kuwaiti military said its air defense units were responding to hostile aerial objects, amid growing concerns that the conflict could spread further across the Gulf region.
In a statement, Iran’s Foreign Ministry urged countries along the Persian Gulf to prevent their territories and facilities from being used to support military actions against the Islamic Republic, describing such cooperation as a legal and moral responsibility.
The escalation followed a US military operation targeting Iranian air defense systems, command facilities and radar installations near the Strait of Hormuz. The operation was announced by US Central Command (CENTCOM), which said it had completed strikes aimed at degrading Iran’s military capabilities.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi had earlier vowed retaliation, warning that Tehran would not leave any attack or threat unanswered.
The latest confrontation prompted international appeals for restraint. Russia expressed deep concern over the renewed hostilities and called on both Washington and Tehran to avoid further escalation. China also urged all parties to take concrete steps to reduce tensions and prevent the conflict from worsening.
The developments have cast doubt on recent statements by US President Donald Trump, who had maintained that negotiations to end the conflict were nearing completion. The renewed fighting follows several months of hostilities that began with US and Israeli strikes on Iranian targets and have since drawn in multiple countries and armed groups across the region.
The crisis has also affected global energy markets and shipping routes. Efforts to reopen the strategically important Strait of Hormuz have been overshadowed by the renewed violence, while oil prices rose amid uncertainty over the prospects for peace.
Meanwhile, violence continued in Lebanon, where Israeli military operations and exchanges of fire with Hezbollah have persisted despite previous ceasefire efforts. Lebanese officials reported multiple casualties in airstrikes on the southern city of Tyre, prompting residents to flee after evacuation warnings from the Israeli military.
Analysts warn that the latest exchange between Iran and the United States could further destabilize the region and complicate ongoing diplomatic efforts aimed at ending the conflict.
