Two-time Australian Open champion Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the tournament due to an abdominal injury, pulling out just hours before her scheduled third-round match in Melbourne.
The Japanese star announced her decision on Saturday ahead of her clash with Australian qualifier Maddison Inglis, saying the setback was a painful one after an encouraging run at the season’s first Grand Slam.
“I’ve had to make the difficult decision to withdraw to address something my body needs attention for after my last match,” the 16th seed wrote on Instagram. “I was so excited to keep going and this run meant the most to me, so having to stop here breaks my heart.”
Osaka added that continuing would risk worsening the injury, stressing the need to prioritise her long-term health and return to competition fully fit.
Speaking later to the media, the four-time Grand Slam champion revealed that the injury was not new, explaining that she had experienced similar issues in the past.
“I thought I could push through it,” she said. “I played my last match with some pain and hoped rest would help, but during the warm-up it got a lot worse.”
The 28-year-old, who returned to professional tennis after giving birth, said she would undergo further medical tests, noting that physical changes following pregnancy require extra caution.
Osaka, champion in Melbourne in 2019 and 2021, had been one of the tournament’s major talking points. She drew widespread attention in the opening round after arriving on Rod Laver Arena in a bold, jellyfish-inspired outfit that quickly went viral.
Her campaign also generated controversy in the second round following an on-court dispute with Romania’s Sorana Cirstea. Cirstea objected to Osaka shouting “come on” between her first and second serves, prompting debate over on-court conduct.
Although Osaka appeared dismissive during her post-match interview, she later apologised for what she described as disrespectful behaviour. Tennis legends Martina Navratilova and Lindsay Davenport criticised the incident, saying it breached basic etiquette by making noise during an opponent’s service motion.
Despite her early exit, Osaka’s brief return to Melbourne left a strong impression, with fans now hoping for a swift recovery and return to competition.
