Three people lost their lives after two teenage gunmen opened fire outside the Islamic Center of San Diego before later dying from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, authorities said.
According to police, the attack occurred on Monday morning while worshippers and children were gathered at the mosque’s campus in San Diego.
The suspects, aged 17 and 18, reportedly fled the scene after the shooting but were later discovered dead inside a vehicle several blocks away.
Authorities confirmed that one of the victims was a mosque security guard who intervened during the attack and helped prevent further casualties.
Scott Wahl praised the guard’s actions, describing them as heroic and saying the intervention likely saved multiple lives.
Investigators said the case was being handled as a suspected hate crime because the attackers deliberately targeted a mosque. Police also disclosed that one of the suspects allegedly left behind writings containing hateful language.
Officials revealed that officers had already been searching for the teenagers before the attack after the mother of one suspect alerted police that her son had left home with firearms alongside another teen dressed in camouflage clothing.
Shortly after the mosque shooting, the suspects allegedly fired at a landscaper from their vehicle, although the worker escaped without injury.
Children attending classes at the mosque’s school were safely evacuated as nearby schools were temporarily placed on lockdown during the emergency response.
Imam Taha Hassane condemned the violence, stating that a place of worship should never become a scene of bloodshed.
Meanwhile, Gavin Newsom said California would not tolerate attacks targeting religious communities.
