A former operative of the Department of State Services (DSS), Seyi Adetayo, has revealed how Nigerian security agencies secured the release of abducted pupils and teachers in Oyo State after 56 days in captivity without paying a ransom or agreeing to a prisoner swap.
Speaking during an interview on TVC News on Friday, Adetayo said the rescue was driven by extensive intelligence gathering and carefully coordinated security operations that weakened the kidnappers’ network.
According to him, operatives traced the abductors’ relatives, including their mothers, wives, children, and other close associates, as part of the intelligence-led strategy.
“They identified the kidnappers’ mothers, wives, children, and close associates. They arrested them, recorded videos, and sent them to the abductors,” Adetayo explained.
He said the operation also involved cutting off the kidnappers’ supply routes and escape routes while combining pressure tactics with negotiations, leading to the victims’ eventual release.
Adetayo noted that the coordinated approach ensured the safe rescue of the pupils and teachers after 56 days in captivity without the payment of a ransom or the release of any detained suspect.
His remarks came after the Presidency confirmed that the victims had been rescued alive during a coordinated security operation.
The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, disclosed that eight suspected kidnappers were arrested during the operation, while several others were killed.
According to Onanuga, security agencies rejected the kidnappers’ demand for the release of one of their detained leaders, insisting there were no negotiations or concessions.
“In the course of the rescue operation, eight of the kidnappers were arrested and are now in DSS custody, while some of them were neutralised,” Onanuga said.
He added that one of the gang leaders whose release was demanded by the kidnappers remains in custody and is being prosecuted, stressing that security agencies would provide a full account of the operation in due course.
Following their release, the rescued pupils and teachers expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu and the security agencies for securing their freedom.
In a video released by the Presidency, one of the victims thanked the President for his commitment to ensuring their safe return.
President Tinubu also welcomed the successful outcome of the operation and commended security personnel for rescuing the victims safely without yielding to the kidnappers’ demands.
