The Nigerian Army has reaffirmed its commitment to securing Tidibale community in Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State following recent bandit attacks that displaced residents.
The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 8 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Bemgba Paul Koughna, gave the assurance during a visit to the community, his first major field operation since assuming command. The tour came as security agencies face increasing pressure to stabilise rural settlements across the North-West, a region long troubled by banditry, abductions and mass displacement.
The visit was confirmed in a statement on Sunday by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Olaniyi Osoba.
Addressing residents, Major General Koughna said the Army had deployed troops permanently to the area to prevent further attacks and ensure the safe return of displaced persons.
He said the assessment tour followed the return of residents who had earlier fled the community after threats by bandits, stressing that the military would not allow any part of Tidibale to remain under criminal control.
“Our aim is to restore normalcy, protect lives and property, and ensure that people can farm and go about their daily activities without fear,” the GOC said, urging residents to cooperate with troops by providing timely and credible intelligence.
He described security as a shared responsibility, noting that collaboration between the military and local communities was key to defeating criminal elements.
Tidibale and surrounding villages have suffered repeated attacks in recent years, disrupting farming activities and worsening economic hardship in the area.
Speaking on behalf of the community, Sarkin Arewa, Alhaji Ibrahim, said the Army chief’s visit had renewed confidence among residents who are gradually returning after months of insecurity.
He commended the military for its efforts and expressed optimism that lasting peace would be restored.
Earlier, Major General Koughna received an operational briefing at the Isa Forward Operating Base, where the Commanding Officer of the 26 Battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Nasiru Mustapha, briefed him on the security situation and ongoing deployments.
Despite gains recorded through recent counter-banditry operations, the North-West remains one of Nigeria’s most volatile regions. Military authorities said the 8 Division would continue to strengthen deployments and work closely with local stakeholders to achieve sustainable peace across Sokoto State and the wider region.
