Several communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State have been thrown into mourning following coordinated attacks by suspected bandits that left dozens dead and properties destroyed.
The violence reportedly began in the early hours of Friday in Tunga-Makeri village, where six residents were killed and multiple houses set ablaze. The attackers were said to have advanced to Paso and Pisa villages on Saturday, continuing their assault with minimal resistance.
A resident, Mohammed Ibrahim, recounted that the gunmen extended their operation to Konkoso, where additional casualties were recorded.
“They attacked Pisa and later Konkoso. Seven people were slaughtered there, and the police outpost in Pissa was destroyed. So far, 26 deaths have been counted in the Konkoso attack,” he said.
The Niger State Police Command confirmed the incident. Police spokesperson Wasiu Abiodun said security operatives received reports of the invasion at about 6 a.m. on February 14, noting that the attackers struck around 3 a.m.
He added that houses were burnt and several persons abducted, while joint security teams have been deployed to stabilise the area and rescue victims. Operations are ongoing to restore normalcy.
