The tripartite minimum wage negotiation meeting involving Organized Labour, the federal and state governments, and the Organized Private Sector (OPS) ended in a deadlock yesterday. The impasse occurred after Labour dismissed the government’s offer of N54,000 as expectedly insufficient.
Labour leaders expressed frustration over the absence of state governors at the meeting, as their representatives lacked the authority to present offers. The meeting is set to reconvene today at 4 pm to continue discussions.
According to sources, Labour leaders insisted that the Federal Government has yet to make a serious offer, arguing that the proposed N54,000 falls significantly below the current N77,000 salary that some workers receive.
Before adjourning, it was agreed that governors must attend the next session to present their proposals. Professor Theophilus Ndubuaku, a member of the Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage, highlighted the critical importance of the governors’ participation in the negotiations.
“It took them (the government team) some time to decide who would present the offer. Eventually, the Minister of Labour announced a shift to N54,000,” Ndubuaku said.
Labour’s Position: N54,000 is a Wage Reduction
Labour representatives were unequivocal in their rejection of the N54,000 offer, labeling it a wage reduction rather than a negotiation for a fair minimum wage. They pointed out that the lowest-paid federal worker currently earns over N77,000, including allowances.
“We are not negotiating a minimum wage but a wage reduction. The current take-home pay for the lowest-paid federal worker is over N77,000. Agreeing to N54,000 means telling workers that their wages have been reduced,” a Labour representative explained.
The Labour delegation emphasized that any agreement reached without the governors’ input would be incomplete and non-binding.
“The Federal Government’s team said they didn’t know why the governors weren’t present, even though six governors were sworn in as committee members. This is a serious matter. If we reach an agreement without them, they might later claim it is not binding,” Ndubuaku noted.
Resuming Talks Today
The meeting was adjourned to allow for formal invitations to the governors, with discussions set to resume today at 4 pm. Organized Labour remains firm that any proposed minimum wage must be above the current N77,000 take-home pay to avoid being a wage reduction.
Labour’s Rejection of Previous Offers
Labour has consistently rejected previous minimum wage proposals of N48,000 and N54,000 from the government and OPS. Under the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC), Labour described the proposals as insulting and insufficient to meet workers’ needs.
Labour leaders have set a deadline of May 31 for the government to conclude negotiations, warning that failure to do so could lead to industrial action.
“We are working towards the deadline to conclude before we go to Geneva for the ILO conference,” a Labour representative stated.
The ongoing negotiations follow a walkout by Labour leaders from last week’s meeting, highlighting the tension and urgency surrounding the minimum wage discussions.
As the deadline approaches, all parties are under pressure to reach an agreement that addresses the economic realities and expectations of Nigerian workers.
