Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, was detained on Monday night at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Abuja following hours of interrogation over an alleged N432 billion corruption probe.
Multiple sources within the anti-graft agency disclosed that El-Rufai arrived at the commission’s Jabi office around 10 a.m. in response to an invitation and was questioned over allegations linked to a 2024 report by the Kaduna State House of Assembly.
The legislative report accused his administration, which ran from 2015 to 2023, of misappropriating loans, breaching due process in contract awards, and plunging the state into significant debt.
A senior EFCC official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the investigation had been ongoing for about a year.
“As a commission, we do not rush to invite suspects. Such invitations are extended after investigations have reached an advanced stage. We are probing him based on allegations raised by the Kaduna State Assembly,” the source said.
When asked whether the former governor would be released, the official stated late Monday night that he remained in custody and would not regain his freedom that day.
EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, confirmed that El-Rufai honored the invitation but declined to provide further details regarding the interrogation or possible next steps.
The probe stems from findings presented last year by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna Assembly, chaired by Henry Zacharia. The committee alleged that a substantial portion of loans secured during El-Rufai’s tenure was not used for their intended purposes.
During plenary, Speaker Yusuf Dahiru Leman claimed that approximately N423 billion was siphoned under the former governor’s administration, leaving the state burdened with heavy financial liabilities. The panel recommended the investigation and prosecution of El-Rufai and several former cabinet members for alleged abuse of office, contract irregularities, diversion of public funds, money laundering, and reckless borrowing.
The Assembly subsequently petitioned both the EFCC and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission to pursue the matter.
In addition to the headline N423 billion allegation, the report cited disputed payments exceeding N155 million, the alleged diversion of N1.37 billion meant for a light rail project, and the purported laundering of N64.8 million by senior aides.
El-Rufai has repeatedly denied all allegations, describing the investigation as politically motivated. He has maintained that loans secured during his administration were properly appropriated and utilized for infrastructure, education reforms, healthcare improvements, and security interventions.
Meanwhile, sources indicated that the Department of State Services (DSS) was on standby as developments unfold, underscoring the heightened political and legal tensions surrounding the case.
Monday’s detention marks a significant escalation in the legal challenges confronting the outspoken former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.
