The Enugu State Government has accused the Chief Executive Officer of Sujimoto Luxury Construction Limited, Mr. Olasijibomi Ogundele, of diverting nearly ₦6 billion allocated for the construction of 22 Smart Green Schools in the state.
In a statement issued Friday by the Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dr. Malachy Agbo, the government alleged that Ogundele abandoned the projects after collecting 50 percent of the contract sum, leaving most sites at foundation level.
According to Agbo, Sujimoto was awarded the ₦11.45 billion contract on July 2, 2024, with a six-month completion timeline to ensure the schools would be ready for the 2025 academic year. To expedite progress, the state released ₦5.76 billion—representing half of the total contract sum.
“Rather than play to the rules of the contract to deliver quality projects for furnishing and equipping ahead of September 2025 school resumption, Mr. Ogundele resorted to shoddy jobs and the use of inexperienced workers and quack engineers,” Agbo said. “None of his sites met the structural integrity specified in the drawings. Worse still, he vanished into thin air with the money.”
The commissioner further claimed that Ogundele presented a Jaiz Bank bond to secure the contract but redirected state payments into another account under Sujimoto, a move that prevented the government from holding the bank accountable. He described the maneuver as “a premeditated intent to defraud the state.”
Following months of failed attempts to reach Ogundele, the government petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). A joint inspection by EFCC operatives and state officials in May 2025 confirmed that little work had been done across multiple sites.
The government has since reassigned the projects to new contractors and assured residents that the Smart Schools would still be delivered by September 2025. “Nigerians should disregard his theatrics and crocodile tears. Enugu State Government will recover every penny fraudulently obtained from Ndi Enugu,” Agbo stressed.
Ogundele’s Defense
In response, Ogundele released an emotional video on social media, denying allegations of fraud. He accused the state of politicizing the project and claimed inflation and shifting demands derailed construction.
“I’m not a thief, I’m not a fugitive,” Ogundele said. “This is a contract between my company and Enugu State Government. In the middle of the project, the governor said he wanted to build a city and the tallest building in Nigeria. Now they declared me wanted and destroyed my company that I built. I am going to the EFCC office to clear my name.”
EFCC Declares Ogundele Wanted
The EFCC, however, has escalated the matter, declaring Ogundele wanted for alleged diversion of funds and money laundering. In a notice signed by the commission’s spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, the EFCC urged the public to provide any information about his whereabouts.
“Olasijibomi Ogundele of Sujimoto Luxury Construction Limited is wanted by the EFCC in an alleged case of diversion of funds and money laundering. Anybody with useful information should please contact the Commission or the nearest police station,” the notice read.
Although the EFCC did not disclose the exact amount under investigation, the development confirms that Ogundele now faces major financial crime charges.
