The Federal Government has dismissed recent comments by former U.S. President Donald Trump on Nigeria’s alleged failure to protect religious freedom, describing them as inaccurate and inconsistent with the realities on the ground.
In a statement issued on Saturday by Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the government reaffirmed its commitment to safeguarding religious liberty and promoting peaceful coexistence among Nigerians of all faiths.
The reaction comes after Trump announced that Nigeria had been placed back on the “Countries of Particular Concern” (CPC) list — a U.S. designation for nations accused of severe violations of religious freedom.
Mr. Ebienfa said the Tinubu administration remains determined to combat violent extremism across the country and support the armed forces in their operations to restore peace and stability.
“The Federal Government has noted the recent statement by the United States of America on religious freedom in Nigeria,” he stated.
“We remain resolute in our commitment to tackle violent extremism fuelled by special interests that have caused division across the West African and Sahel regions.”
He added that the government mourns all victims of terrorism and will continue to defend every Nigerian, regardless of religion, ethnicity, or region.
The Foreign Affairs spokesperson emphasized that Nigeria’s cultural and religious diversity remains its greatest strength, aligning the country’s values with those of the United States.
“Like America, Nigeria has no option but to celebrate the diversity that is our greatest strength,” he said. “Nigeria is a God-fearing nation that respects faith, tolerance, diversity, and inclusion in line with the rules-based international order.”
Reiterating Nigeria’s commitment to maintaining strong diplomatic relations with Washington, the statement described the U.S. as a “close ally” and expressed optimism that both nations will continue to cooperate on shared goals such as democracy, peace, and global stability.
“The U.S. has been — and we trust will remain — a close ally,” the statement read. “The Federal Republic of Nigeria, under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, will maintain its steadfast partnership with all nations that believe in genuine peace, freedom, and democracy.”
The Federal Government’s statement underscores Nigeria’s ongoing effort to defend its international reputation and reaffirm its multi-religious identity, amid renewed global attention to the country’s human rights and religious freedom record.
