Tension swept through Benin City on Tuesday after gunmen attacked a political gathering attended by Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and former Edo State Governor, John Odigie-Oyegun.
The incident occurred shortly after leaders of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) formally received former President of the Nigerian Bar Association and Labour Party’s 2024 Edo governorship candidate, Olumide Akpata, into the party at its secretariat on Ogbelaka Street, off Sokponba Road.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers arrived in an unmarked Sienna bus and on a motorcycle, firing multiple gunshots and vandalising property, including chairs, canopies and banners. Several party members were reportedly injured in the chaos.
Attack Spreads to Oyegun’s Residence
Shortly after the secretariat attack, the assailants allegedly moved to Odigie-Oyegun’s residence on Reservation Road, where gunshots were again heard. Vehicles parked near the gate were riddled with bullets, and a circulating video showed visible damage to cars and the entrance gate.
Speaking after the incident, Obi condemned the attack and called on authorities to act decisively.
“It is time to speak up. It is time those in government act. They are not going to be there forever. What they allowed to happen in the country today will take its revenge on all of us and the country,” he said.
In another video recorded at Oyegun’s residence, Obi described the scene as a troubling sign for Nigeria’s democracy, pointing to bullet holes in the gate and damaged vehicles.
The National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement, Yunusa Tanko, alleged that armed men trailed the ADC leaders from the secretariat to Oyegun’s residence, where they opened fire and destroyed property.
Security Alert Before Attack — Oyegun
Addressing journalists, Odigie-Oyegun disclosed that the party had received an intelligence report from a security agency warning of a possible attack during the meeting.
“Halfway through the proceedings, we got intelligence report… that the place was going to be attacked, so we should wind up,” he said, noting that they cut the meeting short and left before violence erupted.
According to him, about 10 vehicles carrying armed men later stormed the venue, shooting indiscriminately and injuring attendees.
He questioned what he described as a lack of coordinated security response, asking why emergency protection was not deployed despite prior intelligence.
On the attack at his residence, Oyegun said Obi had been visiting him when gunfire erupted. He also alleged that the state government had earlier warned that Obi’s security could not be guaranteed if he visited without prior notice.
Edo Government, APC Deny Allegations
However, Edo State Commissioner for Information, Kassim Afegbua, dismissed claims of political persecution, attributing the violence to an internal crisis within the ADC.
“The crisis has been ongoing. What happened was just the height of it,” Afegbua said, adding that if Obi had formally notified Governor Monday Okpebholo of his visit, security arrangements could have been made.
Similarly, Edo APC Chairman, Emperor Jarret Tenebe, denied any involvement, describing the incident as a factional dispute within the ADC.
As investigations continue, the incident has heightened political tensions in Edo State, with opposition figures warning of broader implications for democratic freedoms and public safety.
