Libyan authorities have opened an investigation into the killing of Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of former ruler Muammar Gaddafi, who was shot dead in the northwestern city of Zintan.
The public prosecutor’s office announced on Wednesday that forensic teams had been dispatched to the area, confirming that the victim died from gunshot wounds. Officials said efforts were ongoing to identify those responsible, with investigators seeking to interview witnesses and anyone who may have information about the incident.
In a statement, prosecutors said they were working to establish the circumstances surrounding the killing and track down suspects.
Seif al-Islam’s lawyer, Marcel Ceccaldi, told AFP that his client was attacked by an unidentified four-man armed group that allegedly stormed his residence in Zintan on Tuesday.
Libya has remained mired in instability since the NATO-backed uprising in 2011 that toppled Muammar Gaddafi. The country is still split between a United Nations-recognised government in Tripoli and a rival eastern administration supported by military strongman Khalifa Haftar.
Neither authority has issued an official comment on Seif al-Islam’s death.
The only public reaction so far came from Moussa al-Kouni, Vice-President of Libya’s Presidential Council representing the Fezzan region, who condemned the violence in a post on X.
“No to political assassinations, no to achieving demands by force, and no to violence as a language or a means of expression,” he wrote.
