The Oyo State Government has formally filed eight charges of murder, manslaughter, and criminal negligence against Naomi Silekunola, the ex-wife of the Ooni of Ife, Oriyomi Hamzat, a prominent broadcaster and radio station owner, and Abdullahi Fasasi, the principal of Islamic High School, Bashorun, Ibadan. The charges are linked to the December 18, 2024, stampede that claimed the lives of 35 children during a children’s funfair in Ibadan.
The charges, filed at the Oyo State High Court, were brought by the state government, naming the three individuals as defendants in what has become one of the state’s most devastating tragedies in recent years.
Details of the Charges Filed
According to the charge sheet marked I/05C/2025, sighted on Sunday, the Oyo State Government accused the defendants of “conspiracy to commit murder, manslaughter, criminal negligence, and failure to provide adequate security and crowd control.” The charges are said to be in violation of Sections 324, 308, and 344 of the Criminal Code, CAP 38, Vol II, Laws of Oyo State, 2000.
The prosecution outlined that the defendants failed to implement proper crowd control mechanisms and medical facilities at the event, leading to a stampede that resulted in the tragic deaths of the children.
Children’s Identities Revealed
The prosecution disclosed the names and ages of 14 out of the 35 children who died in the incident, with the victims ranging in age from 1.5 years to 18 years.
Some of the victims identified include:
- Musiliu Sofiat (female, 8 years)
- Lekan Salami (male, 7 years)
- Feyikemi Salam (female, 1.5 years)
- Olaniyan Joshua (male, 1.5 years)
- Laeef Muisi (male, 8 years)
- Opeyemi Ayomide (female, 4 years)
- Adebayo Fatimah (female, 4 years)
- Adebayo Abibat (female, 5 years)
- Adeyanju Taiwo (female, 8 years)
- Salaudeen Khalid (male, minor)
- Anjorin Faridat (female, 10 years)
- Nahaam Muisi (male, 13 years)
- Babatunde Toheeb (male, 18 years)
Government’s Allegations
The state government alleged that the defendants “negligently omitted to provide adequate security, crowd control mechanisms, and emergency medical facilities”, which directly contributed to the stampede and subsequent deaths of the children.
In particular, the government accused the defendants of criminal negligence, stating that the funfair event was poorly managed, resulting in the tragedy. The prosecution holds the trio responsible for the lack of preventive measures that could have averted the loss of lives.
One of the counts reads:
“You, Naomi Silekunola, Oriyomi Hamzat, and Abdullahi Fasasi, negligently omitted to provide adequate security, crowd control mechanisms, and medical facilities to prevent a stampede at a children’s funfair programme, leading to the death of Musiliu Sofiat and 34 other children.”
The charges of criminal negligence fall under Sections 308 and 344 of the Criminal Code, which carry severe penalties, including life imprisonment if convicted.
Governor Makinde’s Pledge to Prosecute
Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has vowed to ensure justice for the victims of the tragedy. Speaking at a press conference last week, the governor emphasized that “no one is above the law” and promised to prosecute all those responsible for the incident.
“This is a tragedy that should never have happened. We owe it to the families of the victims to ensure that justice is served,” Makinde said.
“The state government will not shy away from prosecuting anyone found guilty of negligence that led to the loss of lives.”
The governor’s statement followed growing public outrage over the incident, with many demanding accountability from the organizers and sponsors of the event.
Arrests and Detention of Defendants
Following their arrest by the police on December 24, Silekunola, Hamzat, and Fasasi have remained in prison custody. The Oyo State Police Command confirmed that the defendants were initially detained for questioning before charges were filed against them.
The state judiciary has set February 15, 2025, for the defendants to appear before the court for arraignment and trial proceedings.
Community Reactions and Protests
The stampede has sparked widespread anger and grief across Oyo State, with residents, civil rights groups, and religious organizations holding memorial services for the victims. Many have criticized the event organizers and government authorities for their failure to ensure the safety of attendees, particularly children.
“How do you organize a children’s event and fail to provide basic security measures? This is heartbreaking,” said Adebayo Hassan, a resident of Ibadan and father of two.
“Those responsible must face the full wrath of the law.”
Some parents of the victims have accused the government of acting too slowly in addressing the tragedy, while others have called for compensation for the families affected.
Security Measures at Future Events
In the aftermath of the tragedy, the Oyo State Government announced plans to enforce stricter safety measures for public events across the state. The government plans to introduce new regulations mandating security audits, crowd control plans, and medical emergency facilities as prerequisites for hosting large gatherings.
“We are committed to ensuring that such a tragic event never happens again,” said Commissioner for Public Safety, Akinola Ajayi.
“Event organizers must take responsibility for the safety of their attendees.”
Legal Experts Weigh In
Legal analysts have weighed in on the case, describing it as a landmark prosecution that could set a precedent for criminal liability in cases of public negligence.
“This is a significant case that highlights the importance of holding individuals and organizations accountable for public safety failures,” said Barrister Bola Oyedele, a criminal law expert.
“If found guilty, the defendants could face lengthy prison sentences.”
The case is expected to attract nationwide attention as it unfolds in court, with many Nigerians following closely to see if justice will be served for the victims of the tragic December 18 stampede.
