Multiple explosions rocked Maiduguri on Monday evening, leaving several people feared dead and many others injured in coordinated attacks across busy parts of the city.
The blasts, suspected to have been triggered by improvised explosive devices planted by insurgents linked to Boko Haram and ISWAP, occurred at key locations including the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, the Post Office area, and the popular Monday Market.
Eyewitnesses said the explosions happened around 7:00 p.m., a time when residents were gathered in large numbers, with some breaking their fast during the Ramadan period. Panic reportedly followed the blasts as victims lay injured on the ground.
Casualty figures remain unconfirmed, but several injured persons were rushed to nearby medical facilities, including UMTH, Maiduguri Specialist Hospital, and Umaru Shehu Hospital for urgent treatment.
A witness described the scene as chaotic, saying the explosion struck while people were dispersing from the crowded market.
Confirming the incident, the Borno State Police Command said its Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit had been deployed to affected areas to secure the environment and assess the damage. Police spokesperson Nahum Daso urged residents to stay calm but remain vigilant, noting that security operatives and emergency responders were actively managing the situation.
Authorities advised the public to avoid the affected locations while investigations and rescue efforts continue.
The attack comes amid intensified military operations against insurgents in the region, particularly by Operation Hadin Kai, supported by other security agencies and local vigilante groups.
Reacting to the development, Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum condemned the explosions, describing them as “despicable, cruel and cowardly.”
In a statement issued by his media aide Dauda Iliya, the governor, who is currently in Saudi Arabia for the Lesser Hajj, expressed sympathy to victims and their families.
Zulum linked the recent spike in attacks to ongoing military offensives targeting insurgent hideouts, including operations in the Sambisa Forest. He assured residents that security agencies remain in control and are taking steps to prevent further incidents.
He also urged the public to remain vigilant, continue lawful activities, and promptly report any suspicious movements to authorities.
