The Borno State Police Command has reinforced security across Maiduguri and other key areas of the state following a deadly bomb explosion at a mosque that claimed five lives and injured 35 others.
The explosion occurred on Wednesday evening at Al-Adum Mosque, located in the Gamboru Market area of Maiduguri, as worshippers gathered for the Maghrib prayer.
Speaking on Thursday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Nahum Daso, said the command had intensified its security operations in response to the attack, deploying more than 1,000 officers to strategic locations.
“Although security arrangements were already in place, the incident has made it necessary for us to strengthen and intensify our deployment,” Daso said.
He explained that the police, in collaboration with other security and emergency response agencies, would maintain a heavy presence at worship centres, major roads, flashpoints and recreational areas, especially during the festive period.
“There will be full domination of security personnel at churches, mosques, recreational centres and other strategic locations where people gather in large numbers. We are fully on standby,” he added.
According to Daso, the operation is a joint exercise involving multiple security agencies working together to ensure public safety across the state.
“The command has deployed over 1,000 personnel within Maiduguri as part of this joint security operation,” he said.
The police spokesperson urged residents to continue their lawful activities while remaining alert and security-conscious, encouraging them to promptly report any suspicious persons or movements through designated emergency channels.
“We advise members of the public to be mindful of their surroundings. Any suspicious activity should be reported immediately,” Daso stated.
He also disclosed that enhanced screening measures would be enforced at places of worship.
“Anyone going to churches or mosques will be properly screened to ensure safety,” he said.
Meanwhile, Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum has condemned the attack, describing it as “utterly condemnable, barbaric and inhumane.”
The governor said the bombing of a place of worship, especially during prayers, amounted to a desecration of its sanctity.
“I extend my heartfelt condolences to the families of those who lost their lives and pray for the speedy recovery of the injured,” Zulum said.
He assured residents that robust security measures had been put in place to prevent further attacks during the festive season and beyond.
