British Prime Minister Keir Starmer has attributed the controversy surrounding the appointment of Peter Mandelson as U.S. ambassador to failures within the foreign ministry, saying key information was withheld from senior ministers.
Addressing parliament on Monday, Starmer said it was “unbelievable” that officials did not disclose concerns raised during Mandelson’s security vetting process. According to him, he was unaware that advice had been given against granting Mandelson clearance—information he insists would have halted the appointment.
The prime minister, who is facing growing criticism from political opponents, maintained that the decision would not have been approved had he been fully informed. He also expressed regret over the selection, which has since become a political liability for his administration.
The controversy intensified after revelations that foreign office officials had overridden earlier security concerns in January 2025 to grant Mandelson “developed vetting” status, allowing access to highly classified information.
“It beggars belief that such critical details were withheld from the most senior levels of government,” Starmer told lawmakers, adding that the lapse undermined expectations of transparency and accountability.
Mandelson’s appointment, initially viewed as a strategic move to strengthen ties with U.S. leadership, drew backlash following disclosures about his past associations, including links to disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.
The situation worsened when former U.S. President Donald Trump publicly criticized the decision, calling it a “bad pick,” though suggesting there was still time to correct course.
Starmer has since acknowledged an error in judgment and announced measures to prevent officials from overriding security advice in future appointments. His office also clarified that he had not misled parliament, stating he acted without full knowledge of the facts at the time.
In the wake of the scandal, Starmer dismissed senior foreign office official Olly Robbins, who had approved communications indicating Mandelson passed vetting. Robbins has yet to comment publicly, though sources suggest established procedures allow such overrides.
Opposition leaders, including Conservative Party head Kemi Badenoch, have sharply criticized Starmer, accusing him of shifting blame onto civil servants rather than taking responsibility.
With local elections approaching and Labour’s popularity showing signs of decline, the ongoing controversy has added pressure on Starmer’s leadership, raising questions about accountability within his government.
