Troops of the Nigerian Army have killed at least 80 armed bandits in a major counteroffensive along the Zamfara–Kebbi border, preventing a large-scale infiltration into Kebbi State. The operation, which spanned Friday and Saturday nights, has been described as one of the most decisive military victories in the region’s recent fight against banditry.
The Special Adviser to the Governor on Communication and Strategy, Abdullahi Idris Zuru, confirmed the development in a statement on Sunday, calling the encounter a “landmark success” in Kebbi’s renewed security drive under Governor Nasir Idris.
According to Zuru, the operation took place in Makurdi village, Ngaski Local Government Area, after intelligence reports revealed plans by armed gangs to cross into the state from Zamfara. He said the swift response and coordination of troops stationed along border communities were critical in thwarting the attack.
“About 80 bandits were neutralised, while several others escaped with gunshot wounds,” said Director of Security, Abdulrahaman Usman. “Troops also recovered dozens of motorcycles used by the assailants and rescued two abducted victims during the operation.”
He added that the troops engaged the attackers in intense gunfire that lasted several hours, forcing the surviving bandits to retreat into the forests bordering Zamfara and Niger States.
The successful mission followed Governor Idris’s directive for a full-scale security reinforcement across the state’s borders with Sokoto, Zamfara, and Niger, a move that has reportedly yielded several breakthroughs in recent months.
Zuru explained that the governor had personally requested additional federal support and provided logistics to strengthen the troops’ mobility and response capabilities.
“The governor has donated 100 Hilux vehicles and 5,000 motorcycles to security agencies in the state to enhance mobility and ensure rapid deployment in crisis-prone areas,” he said.
The Emir of Yauri, Alhaji Zayyanu Muhammad, commended the troops’ gallantry and praised Governor Idris for his proactive approach to restoring stability.
“The people of Kebbi are proud of the sacrifices of our soldiers and the leadership of Governor Idris, whose commitment is restoring peace and hope to our communities,” the monarch said.
Security analysts say the latest offensive has disrupted several armed groups operating around the Zamfara–Kebbi–Niger axis, forcing many to scatter deeper into forested areas.
A senior military officer involved in the operation noted that the offensive was part of a broader security sweep ordered by the Defence Headquarters to eliminate criminal hideouts and restore public confidence in the region.
Meanwhile, reports indicate that the military’s anti-terror campaign remains active nationwide. In the Northeast, Operation Hadin Kai troops reportedly neutralised over 50 terrorists last week while repelling multiple coordinated attacks in Borno and Yobe States.
Residents in affected border communities have expressed relief, describing the recent military success as “a long-awaited victory” against criminal elements that have terrorised rural settlements for years.
