In a controversial move reflecting the administration’s hardline stance on immigration, President Donald Trump’s border czar, Tom Homan, defended the use of raids on schools and churches during a series of federal immigration sweeps in Chicago. The crackdown, part of a broader push to accelerate deportations, has sparked backlash from lawmakers, faith leaders, and immigrant communities.
Relaxed Rules Target ‘Sensitive Locations’
Homan, who also previously led U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), justified the rule change, which allows enforcement actions in locations previously considered off-limits, such as schools, churches, and workplaces. Speaking on ABC News’s This Week, Homan stated, “There are consequences to entering the country illegally. If we don’t show there’s accountability, the border problem will never be fixed.”
The new measures are part of Trump’s second-term immigration overhaul, marked by an ambitious directive to increase daily detention quotas for undocumented individuals. Reports indicate that Trump has pressured ICE to raise arrest numbers from an average of 310 per day in 2024 to as high as 1,500.
Mass Arrests in Chicago
Sunday’s raids in Chicago, a Democratic stronghold and sanctuary city, resulted in 956 arrests—the highest single-day total since Trump’s inauguration. This followed 593 arrests on Friday and 286 on Saturday, reflecting a sharp uptick in enforcement activity. ICE described the operations, conducted alongside five other federal agencies, as efforts to remove “potentially dangerous criminal aliens” from communities.
The sweep involved the FBI, U.S. Marshals Service, Customs and Border Protection, Drug Enforcement Administration, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. Fear of raids reportedly kept many Latinos in the region at home, highlighting the chilling effect on immigrant communities.
Political and Faith Leaders Push Back
The raids have drawn sharp criticism from Illinois officials and religious organizations. Democratic Governor JB Pritzker said the state would assist federal authorities in apprehending violent criminals but condemned the indiscriminate targeting of law-abiding residents.
Illinois Senators Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth issued a joint statement rebuking the raids: “These efforts go far beyond targeting dangerous individuals and risk sweeping up innocent people. We stand with the immigrant community in Chicago and across the country.”
Faith leaders also voiced concerns, particularly over the decision to allow raids on churches and schools. Leaders of three Catholic organizations released a joint statement condemning the move, stating it turns places of solace into zones of fear and undermines community trust.
When pressed on the Catholic opposition, Homan dismissed the criticism, saying, “We’re enforcing laws Congress enacted and the president signed. If they don’t like it, they should change the law.”
Vice President Criticizes Faith Groups
Vice President JD Vance added fuel to the debate, accusing the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops of financial motives, saying, “When they receive over $100 million to help resettle illegal immigrants, are they worried about humanitarian concerns, or are they worried about their bottom line?”
Call for Expanded Resources
Homan has called on Congress to approve additional funding to manage the surge in arrests. “We’re going to need more ICE beds, a minimum of 100,000,” he said, emphasizing the need for efficiency in processing detainees.
A Divided Nation
The crackdown has highlighted deep divisions in the nation’s immigration debate, with Trump’s administration doubling down on enforcement while critics warn of its human and societal costs. As Chicago becomes a focal point for this contentious issue, the broader implications of Trump’s immigration policies remain under intense scrutiny.
