Tragedy struck on Friday night in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State as a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device at a crowded local food joint, killing no fewer than 10 people and injuring many others.
The attack occurred around 10:00 p.m. at a popular eatery where residents typically gather to eat and socialize. Witnesses described the scene as chaotic and devastating, with bodies strewn across the area and survivors fleeing in panic.
Confirming the incident on Saturday, the spokesperson for the Borno State Police Command, ASP Nahum Daso, said the exact number of casualties is still being determined, but preliminary findings suggest over 10 fatalities.
“Yesterday, around 22:00 hours in Konduga, unfortunately, somebody invaded a gathering with a bomb, killing over 10 persons,” Daso stated. He added that an investigation had been launched and that a joint response team has already been deployed to the area.
“We have deployed our Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) experts, along with the military and other security agencies, to the town. Investigation is ongoing to ascertain what really happened. The details are still scanty,” he added.
According to local accounts, the suicide bomber was blown up in the blast and burned beyond recognition. Victims with varying degrees of injuries were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency treatment.
“It was a very busy joint where people buy food, relax, and mingle. The atmosphere was normal until we heard a thunderous explosion. The moment was horrifying—many people didn’t make it,” a local witness told PUNCH.
This attack underscores the lingering threat of insurgent activity in northeastern Nigeria, despite gains made by security forces in recent years. No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing at the time of filing this report.
Authorities are urging the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity as the investigation continues.
