Anamekwe Nwabuoku, the former acting Accountant-General of the Federation, requested additional time on Wednesday to refund public funds he allegedly looted. His plea was made to Justice James Omotoso of the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Nwabuoku and his co-defendant, Felix Nweke, face 11 counts of money laundering amounting to N1.6 billion. The charges, brought by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), stem from Nwabuoku’s tenure as the Director of Finance and Accounts in the Ministry of Defence between 2019 and 2021.
The charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/240/24, was dated May 20 and filed on May 27 by EFCC counsel, Ekele Iheanacho. Nwabuoku was appointed acting Accountant-General on May 20, 2022, under former President Muhammadu Buhari after Ahmed Idris was suspended over an alleged N80 billion fraud. Nwabuoku was removed from the position in July 2022, just weeks after assuming office.
During Wednesday’s proceedings, the defendants asked the court to delay their arraignment to allow them to finalize the refund of the looted funds. Nweke’s lawyer, Emeka Onyeaka, informed the court of new developments, stating that his client had taken significant steps towards resolving the matter, including making substantial refunds of the money traced to him by the EFCC.
“The second defendant has taken steps, as there is a communication to the commission regarding the alleged offences and making a refund. The commission is in receipt of the money and promised to communicate with us,” Onyeaka said.
Onyeaka added that if his client were arraigned while the refund process was ongoing, it could affect the trial. He therefore requested an adjournment to allow further administrative procedures.
Maduakolam Igwe, representing Nwabuoku, supported Onyeaka’s submission, confirming that his client had also made substantial refunds. “We have written to the commission on this. The first defendant has also made some refunds. May I adopt the submission of my learned friend to tidy up the administrative procedure,” Igwe said.
In response, EFCC counsel Ogechi Ujam acknowledged receipt of a proposal letter but stated that no negotiation, settlement, or agreement had been reached. “In the circumstances, we urge this honourable court to allow us to arraign the defendants,” she said.
After considering the arguments, Justice Omotosho adjourned the case until October 14 for arraignment.
