Ahead of the October 20 nationwide solidarity march calling for the unconditional release of detained Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, former Senate President, Senator Adolphus Wabara, has publicly declared his support for the protest in a letter addressed to human rights activist and protest convener, Omoyele Sowore.
In the letter, personally signed by him and released on Wednesday, Wabara commended Sowore and other organisers for their “courage to rise against injustice” through peaceful means. He expressed full solidarity with the march, describing it as a legitimate expression of citizens’ demand for justice and reconciliation.
“I have been informed about the planned protest on the 20th of October, calling for the release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu. I wish to commend your efforts and those of others who continue to speak up for justice and fairness in our country,” Wabara wrote.
“Unfortunately, I am out of the country and will not be able to join you physically on that day. However, please know that I am with you in spirit and in full support of every peaceful effort aimed at securing justice and national reconciliation. I wish you and all participants a peaceful and successful outing.”
Wabara’s endorsement adds weight to the growing national and international support for the planned march, which organisers have described as a peaceful demand for the rule of law and the release of all political detainees across Nigeria.
In a related development, the World Igbo Congress (WIC) has also thrown its weight behind the protest, urging Igbo communities around the world to participate actively. The group said the solidarity march aligns with its long-standing advocacy for dialogue, justice, and fair treatment of the Southeast region.
WIC noted that Nnamdi Kanu’s continued detention despite multiple court orders granting him bail remains a sore point in Nigeria’s democratic record.
Omoyele Sowore, the convener of the march and publisher of Sahara Reporters, had earlier said the nationwide protest would be “entirely peaceful” and open to all Nigerians who believe in freedom, justice, and equality.
He also disclosed that simultaneous rallies would take place in major cities including Abuja, Lagos, Enugu, and Port Harcourt, as well as across the diaspora.
The former presidential candidate emphasised that the protest is not about separatism but about ensuring fairness and respect for human rights in Nigeria.
As the October 20 march draws closer, civil society organisations, youth groups, and diaspora communities have begun mobilising participants, while calls for dialogue between the Federal Government and pro-Biafra groups continue to grow.
